Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Can I See Some Identification?

I apologize if I have stated this fact too many times before, but I studied psychology in college. I have always been fascinated with the mind and how we relate to each other. Some of the most interesting things I learned about were defense mechanisms. When anxiety becomes too overwhelming, we often distort reality or block it out entirely. One of these mechanisms that I have found myself to exhibit in my life as a Christian is identification. Identification is when an individual unconsciously models himself or herself after the character or behavior of another. An individual practicing identification often attaches him or her self to a group and shuns those exhibiting characteristics outside of the group. This maintains one’s ego while promoting self-importance. Particularly in high school, I was very rough on people who didn’t have the exact same beliefs as myself. I boasted about being a Christian and spent a lot of time looking down on my peers. I wanted more people to learn about Jesus, but I wanted them to do it on my terms.
I believe that God chose Paul for some very specific reasons. Paul had lived on the other side of the tracks. He persecuted Christians and did everything in his power in an attempt to blot out their existence. Paul was blinded by God’s glory and had his life completely turned around when he encountered God on the road to Damascus. Paul knew what it was to identify with those who hate God and want nothing to do with him. I believe this definitely assisted Paul’s effectiveness as a missionary. He didn’t seek to exclude others. He didn’t want to persecute those outside the church. Paul wanted to welcome them with open arms. The apostles were profoundly affected by their encounter with Jesus. They left their careers, their families, and their past behind to spread the gospel of Christ. In Acts 10, we find the story of Cornelius, a Roman centurion who is one of the first Gentiles to give his life to Christ. When we consciously identify with and attempt to fully emulate Christ, we can bring even the least likely individuals to encounter Christ. We are the instruments of God, His hands and feet.

No comments: