Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's Making Me Wait

One of my worst enemies, as of late, is anticipation. Whether what I am waiting for is exciting or dreadful, the waiting eats away at my very being. If I know that I am to receive a package by mail, I can’t rest until it has arrived. I have to obtain tracking numbers and program them in to my computer for constant updates. More acceptably, I suppose, is when I have to take a big test. Eventually, I plan to complete the Graduate Record Examination so that I may complete further education. I fear this day to the point that my stomach aches. These types of feeling distract me from my daily responsibilities.
Most ridiculous is my eagerness to urge to attend a screening of the upcoming film entitled ‘Cloverfield’. ‘Cloverfield’ is a product of director JJ Abrams, creator of popular and endlessly confusing television show ‘Lost’. ‘Cloverfield’ is the account of a group of friends, all in their twenties, who witness and become involved in an attack on New York by a giant monster and its smaller underlings. “So you’re excited about a Godzilla rip off?” is what you might be thinking right now. Well, the catch is that the movie’s monster has yet to be revealed to the public. Other than a blessed few, no one has seen the ‘Cloverfield’ monster. Add to this a cryptic viral marketing campaign, and you have millions of people salivating with expectancy.
I can’t even begin to imagine how much the Jewish people anticipated the coming of Jesus. Oppressed by the Romans and living more as slaves than as free men, the Jews were looking for a leader who would end this way of life. Jesus shows faithfulness to his ministry as well as God’s endorsement of him in Luke 3:21-22. In this instance, Jesus simultaneously supports the act of baptism and makes his presence as the Son of God official. After 2000 years of study, we often fail to value what Jesus’ presence on the Earth means to us today. We need to anticipate God’s gift of salvation through Christ.

No comments: