Thursday, February 7, 2008

Who Possesses Us?

Seeing as how I spent an almost ridiculous amount of time in college studying he field of psychology, I often feel it necessary to share a portion of what I learned with others. I can only hope this knowledge does not fall to the same deaf ears I once presented my “ABCs” to as a child. It is fascinating to discover the complexities of the human mind. We are without doubt the creation of a perfect God. There are many distressing concepts one comes across in the study of psychology. Just as every human being is subject to physical illnesses, we are subject mental illnesses. One of the most intriguing mental illnesses is dissociative identity disorder. Dissociative identity disorder is the diagnosis given to individuals who display multiple distinct identities or personalities, each perceiving and interacting differently. Different personalities within an individual even have different handwriting. The causes of this disorder have not been identified, but many theorize that stress (often childhood abuse) causes one to create multiple identities subconsciously in order to cope with this stress.
Though few of us could be diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder, we all take on identities that our not our true self once in a while. We are all created in the image of God. We each have the potential to be reflections of Jesus, living as Jesus did when he came to Earth. However, this way is not always easiest. We are overcome with powerful influences and temptations. I could turn the other cheek when someone hurts me. However, I often become vindictive and wish the same hurt on others that they have inflicted on me. I should help others but typically spend more time helping myself. In Luke 4:31-44, we find Jesus healing many demon possessed individuals. While we may never find ourselves possessed by demons, we will find ourselves the victims of selfishness and the suggestions of Satan. We need to find out true identity in Christ.

No comments: