Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Prayers Answered at Auto-Zone

I must admit to you that I often neglect the power of prayer. Over the years, the countless sermons, classes, and personal studies regarding prayer have drilled the importance of prayer deep in to my brain. So deep, in fact, that I often become numb to the reality of prayer’s power and the connection it gives me to the creator. John 15:7 states that if we “remain” in Christ and His words “remain” in us, then whatever we wish will be given to us. I believe this means that if our intentions are pure and directed towards serving God, we will find satisfaction in our prayers.
I had an excellent time at VBE. All of the teachers and volunteers did fantastic job. I must give a shout out to the teens who gave up their evenings all week (and days for a few of you) to decorate, sing silly songs, make videos, and generally attempt to keep some sense of order at VBE. I bring up VBE in the middle of this discussion of prayer because I believe God answered many prayers on the last evening of VBE. Up until Thursday evening’s session, the weather report predicted lighting and rain. We scrambled to find alternative entertainment for the kids and considered canceling the outdoor activities. Well, the weather cleared up just in time to allow us to head outdoors. I was knocked out of my socks by this occurrence.
To add to my amazement, another prayer was answered for Sara and I this past weekend. After a trip to the DIA, our car began to buck like a wild bronco every time it went idle. We were both frustrated by and left with worry over our only means of transportation. While having the car checked at Auto-Zone, a stranger offered to look at our car. He solved a problem that had been plaguing us for weeks in about 5 minutes. And, he didn’t even want our money! One might consider these two situations to be coincidences, but I see them as answers to prayers at times when extreme doubt began to fill my head. “Be alert and always keep on praying”. (Eph. 6:18) Trust me when I say that our prayers are both heard and answered.

No comments: