Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Christians Deserve Forgiveness Too

After reading the title of this article, you might a little confused. Hopefully, you are intrigued. This will be a difficult concept for me to explain (especially in less than half a page), but hang in there with me. Lately, I have been considering what I’ve said about my church experience. More specifically, I’ve been considering what I’ve said in the presence of those who are not Christians. There is a particular relative of mine that I’ve wanted to become a follower of Christ since I was a young child. I’ve sat with this person countless times in attempts to discuss the wonderful things about being a follower of Christ. This person, like so many others, tends to see the negative side of Christianity.
In the news, there are countless stories about Christians who commit violent acts in the name of Christ. Based on a twisted reputation, many believe that Christianity consists of nothing more than punishment and criticism. The biggest detraction is that my relative has met individuals claiming to be Christians that live no differently than other people.
What I have noticed very little is the part that I myself play in my relative’s perception of Christianity. In my high school and college years particularly, I would complain about the church in the presence of my relative. I would talk about how I tire of hypocrites, judgmental individuals, and those who distort the teachings of Christ. Who would want to become a Christian when a Christian finds so many faults within the church? 2 Tim. 3:16 states that scripture is useful for rebuking and correcting. It is also useful for teaching and “training in righteousness”! We need to be willing to forgive each other the way that God does. Christians are humans and humans make mistakes. If you see a problem in the church, do your best to lovingly correct the problem as Christ would! Complaints just fuel the fires set to destroy Christianity. “Come now, let us reason together.” (Isa. 1:18)

1 comment:

Jeremy Hoover said...

Great post, John. Reading this, I now understand our FB conversation better. Thanks for sharing this, and keep up this ministry of writing!