Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spider-man is From Thailand?

I had a few stories and illustrations to choose from this week. Because I decided to end last week’s entry with a quote from the amazing Spider-man, I am starting where I left off with a real life story featuring Spider-man. Yes, you read that correctly. A REAL LIFE SPIDER-MAN saved a boy in Bangkok, Thailand. The boy, afflicted with autism, climbed out of a classroom window and on to a third-floor window ledge. It was the boy’s first day at a special needs school. His new teachers tried their best to convince the boy to come back inside, but he continued to cry and ignored them. A comment by the boy’s mother regarding his love for comic book super heroes inspired fireman Somchai Yoosabai to run back to the fire station in order to change in to a Spider-man costume. The costume, typically used to entertain children during fire drills, comforted the boy. When the boy saw Spider-man holding a glass of juice for him, he quickly threw himself in to the firefighter’s arms. If this doesn’t tug at your heartstrings, I worry about you.
I could see myself in the same situation as a boy. I don’t know that I would have climbed out on to a window ledge, but I did have some scary first days at new schools and I still love Spider-man to this day. Throw in juice and you’d have my unconditional support. Today, when I am feeling scared and alone, I try to throw myself in to the arms of Jesus. Despite what many people in the world say, Jesus is real. John 1:1 states that he was God in the flesh. Luke 24:34 informs us that he is the risen Lord. Jesus is our savior (Acts 5:30-32) and he came to die for sinners (Rom. 5:8). We today need to look at Jesus with more love and adoration than a young boy who sees Spider-man holding a glass of juice. There are a lot of people out there claiming to have the answers and purporting to show the way to the “good life”. Jesus is the only way. He is our super hero.

No comments: