Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Oh Mandy, You Came to the Mall. Now We’re Aching.

This is probably one of the oddest illustrations I’ve ever used. Something struck me about an article I read this morning that reflects an issue I find to be too prevalent in our world. Maybe I am really reaching here, but you can be the judge of that. An article from the MSNBC web site states that the New Zealand city of Christchurch is having problems with unruly teenagers in their outdoor malls. The teens “spread rubbish, spray graffiti, get intoxicated, use drugs, swear and intimidate patrons”. It’s shocking, right? What makes this world news is the method being used to hopefully get rid of or at least pacify the teens. The malls are planning to use the “smooth, gentle tones” of Barry Manilow’s music as a weapon against the teenagers. You read that right. Barry Manilow is expected to alter the behavior of teenagers. If it works, I will have to stand and applaud the progressive city of Christchurch. If not, they might have to enact my plan to forbid the sale of caffeine to minors. My Plan C involves elderly citizens giving them hugs.
I know the theories and explanations for it, but I will never fully understand why some people’s favorite pastime is to bother and frustrate others. I know I was a weird kid (and still am), but I didn’t spend my time pushing boundaries and people’s patience. Though I constantly argued with my father about going to church services and Bible studies, I truly believe that well-spent time helped shape me in to the person I am today. 2 Tim. 3:16 states, “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.” While there are many useful techniques that can reform one’s behavior, there is no instructional manual or Manilow album that can be compared to the Bible. Spend your time and your family’s time in scripture. You won’t regret it.

No comments: