Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Personal Ads

I can’t tell you privileged I feel to no longer be a part of the “dating scene”. Looking for a mate was an excruciating and ultimately worthless pursuit. This might not be the case for everyone, but in trying to find the love of my life I only found problems. As I’ve mentioned before, I completely believe that God brought someone to me only after I completely gave control over to him. Before I gave up jurisdiction over my love life, I attempted to meet women in several places including: high school, chorus, summer camp, church, college, and even the Internet. One thing I never tried was personal ads.
This afternoon, I came across a personal ad featuring a chubby engineering student that seeks an Asian woman of a very specific height, weight, and build. I began searching around and found several other examples of humorous personal ads. The first is: “SWM, old, fat, balding, many disgusting habits seeks SWF with money. Send pictures of your house, car, RV. This could be your lucky day.” You have to appreciate his honesty. Another reads, “SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seek likeminded SWF. No weirdos, please.” Even the stars of major motion pictures have trouble finding love! Finally, showing that one’s priorities change with age: “When I was thirty my dates had to be young, slim, tall, handsome, rich, intelligent. Now I'm 64, they only have to know how to read and use the telephone!”
James 4:8 states that if you draw near to God, “He will draw near to you”. God has put out a personal ad for us. He seeks a loving, intimate relationship with his creation. If we answer this ad and devote ourselves fully to God, it is easy to see how strong God’s presence can be in our lives. We have someone to confide in that provides everything we will ever need. Do you “consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ?” (Phil. 3:7-8)

No comments: