Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Working Nine to Nine

When I think of the various jobs I held before my current position here in Roseville, I don’t remember much passion. During high school, I worked at the local Burger King. After a couple years, I was working a ridiculous number of hours. I don’t know how it was done legally, but I would occasionally start work at 6am and finish at 3am the next day. It was nice to have my own funds, but I certainly was not fervent about the job. This trend continued in college. I spent a lot of my time working at the local Starbucks, much like I did at Burger King, creating my own culinary masterpieces. If Starbucks sold a few of the drinks I concocted, there would be three of them on every block, instead of the usual two. Working at the expensive, trendy clothing store ‘J. Crew’ lacked the outlet for creativity that I found in previous jobs. I spent most of my time folding sweaters and avoiding eye contact with customers. The few times that I did make suggestions to shoppers were disastrous. I had a decent amount of style, but I guess my street credibility was somewhat lacking. In the evenings at college, I spent hours upon hours trying to convince the groundbreaking engineers and physicians of tomorrow that a small, liberal arts college was right for them. Again, my heart was just not in it.
While I watched a television special about the Batman last night, I began to consider why a city might need a costumed vigilante. Well, policemen are human beings and police work is a job. What if every policeman and detective lost the zeal to perform his or her job? What if they all decided to do the bare minimum that is required in order to obtain a paycheck? Chaos would rule and we’d need to light up a Bat signal or two. Christians need to be zealous about God’s work. We need to go the extra mile. Is coming to a couple church services and maybe working for an hour in a neighbor’s backyard enough? Christianity is not a 9 to 5 job. It is a lifestyle. We should be willing to be used by God in any capacity and at any time. Read Acts for some inspiration.

No comments: