Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Children of Eden

Have any of you ever had the hankering to start your own cult? Please refrain from tossing this bulletin in to the nearest trash receptacle. Just hear me out people. I'm not planning to have anyone drink poisoned kool-aid or ride around in little cars while adorned with fezzes. I am trying to create a practical cult. I was walking around the mall noticing the legion of clothing stores with $60 t-shirts and pants you'd have to trade your first-born child for. Suddenly a thought came to me. This came as a surprise to me being that my head is typically a grand canyon among minds, void of thought. I realized that clothes are merely the product of sin. They symbolize all that is wrong with humanity. When Adam and Eve took of the forbidden fruit, they were ashamed of their nakedness and fashioned the very first J. Crew ensemble from twigs and leaves. This design later sold at the retail price of 75 forbidden apples, the equivalent of a month's wage back then.
Michelangelo’s "David", a piece of art cherished throughout many generations, wasn’t wearing a cashmere cable crewneck sweater! He wore nothing! My cult would emphasize the idea of enjoying our bodies. Well, because of the damage caused by Kripsy Kreme and Mickey D’s and the shame that came as a result of sin, complete nudity might be taking things a step too far. Why not just assemble our clothing from the flora, fauna, and other raw materials provided to us in nature? We could even use that fluffy stuff that covers sheep! Who’s with me?
All that silliness aside, it is amazing that we spend so much of our lives focused on things that don’t really matter. We spend our time and effort fighting to gain the most material possessions. These possessions break, wear out, fall apart and eventually loose their usefulness. If it isn’t possessions we are worried out, it’s a long list of other items. Who will I marry? Where will I work? What will I do if my health decreases? I will give you the passage once inscribed in a book given to me. Matthew 6:25-34 reminds us that God even provides for the birds. We are much more important to God. If we trust in God, he will give us the clothing, food, and whatever else we really need.

No comments: