Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Part of the Team

Being part of a team is one of life’s best experiences. If you ever question the value of team sports, then allow me to at least partially negate your concerns. It might shock you to find out, but I was never a star athlete. I would love to tell you that I scored four touchdowns in a single high school football game. However, the role of leading scorer never quite fit me. I was always the defender. Though I didn’t put the ball in the net, I kept the other team from doing this as much as I could. Though I rarely even shot the puck, I enjoyed being a part of the team as I stopped the flurries of incoming shots.
Everything just seems to get done faster and more efficiently with a team working towards a common purpose. Typically, a skilled and experienced coach is one of the biggest differences between a win and a loss. A coach passes on his knowledge and gives the team the necessary information to defeat its opponents. Some of my favorite athletes didn’t simply fade in to obscurity once their bodies prevented them from reaching the highest levels of physical prowess. They became coaches, using their experience to lead a younger generation. The fundamentals of team play learned by the coach are passed.
Jesus empowered his apostles to do amazing things. In Luke 9:1-9, Jesus sends out the twelve, giving them “the power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases.” He tells them to leave everything behind, preach the gospel, and heal people. It’s not that Jesus had passed his prime, but he needed a team. We each have important roles to fill. God has given us all abilities, and each one is necessary to the team. We are Jesus to those who have yet to encounter him. It can be daunting, but we have the ability.

No comments: