Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bi Bi's Dilemna

This week’s interesting news that leads to discussion of more spiritual matters comes to us from Victoria Australia. Sue Drummond was walking her maltese/shitzu mix on Brighton Pier when the dog was suddenly swept off the pier and in to the bay waters by a gust of wind. Drummond watched helplessly as the poor pooch, appropriately named Bi Bi (pronounced “bye bye”), struggled to stay afloat in the waves below her. A young man named Raden Soemawinata heroically stripped down to his skivvies and dove in to save the water logged canine. It was discovered by the “Herald Sun” that Soemawinata was at Brighton Pier to spread his grandmother’s ashes in to the bay. The humble hero stated, “It was pretty cold and windy, but it wasn’t such a hard decision to jump in.” He also said, “I’m a part-time model, so getting into my jocks isn’t so different to what I do for work.” Some fantastic photos tell the story better than I can. Google them at your earliest convenience. Be forewarned that the tasteful photos involve underwear.
To many, a dog in distress isn’t something that inspires much of an emotional response. Not having children and owning the first two dogs I have ever had the pleasure of caring for, I can certainly empathize with Sue Drummond’s plight. I would most definitely be in tears if one of my dogs fell in to a bay. I would jump in to rescue them, but I don’t think I’d be able to stand the embarrassment of dropping my pants to do so. If I was an angel at the time Jesus was sent to Earth, I would probably think to myself, “Why embarrass yourself to save pitiful, sinful creatures like men?” Even as a man it’s impossible to fully understand why the Son of God had to die for me. Who in heaven would miss a shaggy wet dog? God would. He loves us unconditionally and demonstrated His love in the greatest way possible. He gave His own life for sinners like you and I (Rom. 5:8). We should never fail to appreciate this gift.

No comments: