Tuesday, September 29, 2009

We Are Pots Made From Clay

I love art formed in a variety of disciplines. Whenever I am traveling, I make a point to stop by as many museums and art galleries as I possibly can. What usually catches my eye more than art placed in a museum is art found in urban settings or contrived in innovative mediums. I am always looking for the next “I wish I’d thought of that” expression of creativity. For instance, when I was playing with my Lego blocks, I’d never envisioned creating life-sized replicas of real world objects or detailed murals from them. Google Nathan Sawaya and be amazed by his constructions. A few weeks ago, I was looking at a Lego advertising campaign that used huge posters on the sides of buildings to make the buildings look they were made of giant Lego blocks.
When doodling with my Etch-a-Sketch, I never thought of making photorealistic portraits of my friends and famous celebrities. Greg and George Vlosich do amazing things with an Etch-a-Sketch. Today, I found a painter who’s medium is unwashed cars. Scott Wade, the artist, is truly gifted with drawing elaborate, shaded works on the windows of filthy automobiles.
I can’t speak for everyone, but I often feel like I have worked myself in to a corner. I get the feeling that I have nothing more to offer the world. I sometimes regret the choices I’ve made to the point that I believe I’ve ruined my life. I tend to look at the relatively young age of 30 (which I am less than a month away from) as the end of the road for me. Passages in Isaiah 29 and 64 refer to us as the clay and God as the potter. The clay isn’t allowed to claim that the potter doesn’t understand it and can’t make anything from it. We are the works of the hands of God. God has given us unlimited potential and plans for us to proper as we use this potential to its fullest.

No comments: