Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Love Poem for God

At one point in my life I, like many other boys, began to develop an interest in the fairer sex. I relentlessly pursued the hearts of various young women in hopes of finding true love (that makes me sound like a creepy stalker, which I believe is something all young men border on becoming). During this particularly awkward phase of my life, I knew very little about how to win the affect of lovely maidens. The only weapon in my arsenal was ridiculously sappy poetry. Here is an excerpt from a poem entitled “Come Into My Heart”. Feel free to hurl insults at your discretion. I won’t cry… much.

“Show my heart what it has yet to see,
open it up and set it free.
Give to my heart a love unending,
so we will end all pretending.
A place in my heart will always be,
for one as beauteous as thee.
A heart like mine is ever alone,
until the day it finds another of pure gold.”

I wrote this type of poetry to a couple girls I barely knew. I even recycled a poem once by giving it one girl and then another. I handed the second girl the poem as I exited the school bus and walked away as quickly as possible with my head down. I used to spend so much time and money on unrequited love. What if we had more passion and love for God than anything else? He certainly has an infinite amount of unconditional love for us. Let God know that you love him. Keep God’s greatest commandment (Matt. 22:37-38). Keeping God’s commands speaks volumes. It means God’s love is in you (John 15:9-10).

No comments: