Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tale as Old as Time

I know I’ve probably mentioned my dating life in too many sermons, lessons, articles, and every day conversations. Before marriage, the pursuit of the “fairer sex” took precedence in my life from a very young age. I like to blame Disney movies for planting this desire deep within my soul. I know that Disney movies get blamed for a lot of things (like the supposed subliminal messages planted in various scenes), but almost every Disney movie pushes the idea that a man is not complete until he has found that special woman to compliment him. Snow White had her prince. Aladdin had his princess. Even the lady found her tramp. Who was not touched during the scene in which one pooch in love pushed a meatball across the table to its companion? That’s amore! Can you feel the love tonight? It’s obvious that Disney’s target audience is not single men and women.
Before reaching manhood (however you define that), I had crushes on teachers and gave valentines to girls in my class. This developed in to “Do you like me? Check yes or no” notes and the typical fare of awkward interactions and gestures. Once, I literally threw a poem at a girl and walked off of the bus as quickly as possible. I worked so hard to get attention from girls. I don’t think that I’ve ever pursued God with nearly as much vigor and intensity. In Philippians 3:8, Paul states that he considers “everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus”. When I was finally able to put aside girls and seek more intimacy with God, God provided me a woman more wonderful than I could have comprehended. Whether single or as part of a couple, God provides the things that we need when we genuinely try to know Him. In contrast to having a relationship with our Lord and master, other relationships are meaningless.

No comments: