Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Heart Goes Out to You

No matter the quality of the writing or oral presentation, it is difficult to truly empathize with the troubles of a fellow human being without actually living through them. Even then, every situation effects each individual involved differently. Let’s say that for instance, you have to pass a test in order to obtain a certain certification or pass a class necessary towards your college degree. You spend hours studying for the test, rejecting invitations to social gatherings and putting aside leisure activities. You have a friend taking the same test, yet he studies very little. His life is barely interrupted by what you consider to be an important milestone. When the results are issued for this test, you discover that you have failed while your friend has passed with little effort put forth.
Stories like these tend to stir up a number of feelings in one’s heart. This story is actually my story. And, of the two main characters, I wasn’t the one cracking open the books. At the time, I had little empathy for my friend. I would say something like, “Sorry to hear that, man” with very little thought of the hurt that my friend was truly experiencing. It was years later, when my own tests in college and elsewhere became more difficult, that I began to reflect on the plight of my friend.
We can easily say, “Life is not fair” when we look at all the trouble in the world and in our own lives. I am sure we all have experienced being passed over for a job opening, date, or some other opportunity. In times like these, it has always been helpful for me to remember the true empathy of Jesus. In Luke 7:11-17, Jesus raises the son of a widow. He doesn’t simply perform this miracle and pass on unaffected. It says in verse 13 that “His heart went out to her”. Our hearts need to go out to those in trouble and in pain.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I always admired your wisdom, but I was too much of a young, troubled loser to realize it.