Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A Study of Intolerance

Throughout my education in the field of psychology, I had to study various tests and conduct my own research. I once decided to examine the effects of cinema on one’s mood, contrasting humor and heartbreaking drama. I showed film clips to my subjects, observing them and later asking these individuals to take a few written tests. I had some interesting results, including the discovery that sad movies make one tired. I even made a girl cry. As a result of various projects and classes, I realized that drawing a conclusion based on a small group of people and applying it to a larger population can be difficult and dangerous. Because Christians have faith, convictions, and speak out against sin, we are judged as intolerant. Those who start wars and harm others in the name of God further distort and disfigure the image the world holds of Christians.

During the “Sermon on the Mount” (Matt. 5-7), there are several instances at which Jesus is clearly outspoken and communicates his intolerance towards hypocrisy and various other sins. In Matthew 12:1-8 and Mark 7:1-13, Jesus is intolerant of those who are bound completely to tradition. In these same passages, Jesus is tolerant of the actions of his disciples that are contrary to the laws of the Pharisees. We can conclude that Jesus was intolerant when sin was involved. Christianity doesn’t include passing judgment on others while ignoring our own sins. Our intolerance must be directed towards sin, especially if it is our own.

No comments: