Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Standardized Living

I don’t know about you, but I live a rather privileged life. I’ve never been starving or without shelter, and I’ve always had clothes to wear. I am not suffering from a horrible illness and I don’t have any physical handicaps. When the slightest amount of pain or hardship enters my life, I cry like a tiny baby. Paper cuts or small scratches debilitate me, leaving me useless to the world. A flat tire, as Dana Dugger will admit, causes me to be stranded and helpless. The loss of a few hours of sleep turns me in to a shell of my former self, incapable of conversation or basic reason. If life is not customized to my liking, with everything falling to place, I am very bothered. I am, like so many of us, intolerant of every event or situation that upsets the normal flow of my life.

We, living in the freedom that God and this country affords us, believe in a standard that fits our ideals. When our relationship with God and our spiritual lives are concerned, we tend to be less strict and more adaptable. We adapt our faith to the world, for fear of “making splashes” or “ruffling feathers”. We adjust our conversation, attitude, and daily activities to blend in and discover acceptance. 2 Corinthians 3:18 tells us that we need reflect the glory of God with unveiled faces. If a cold, scratch, or change in temperature bothers us, why doesn’t it bother us when we or others stand in opposition to God.

No comments: